5.10.2010

MSI Site Design and STFU Tak Illustration

Today I have a Web Design project for you and a new illustration!

This project involved choosing a band with at least four releases and redesigning their logo, then creating a discography and merchandise page for them. I chose Mindless Self Indulgence because they are my favorite band and their site is okay but rather disjointed design-wise.

MSI uses a lot of Nintendo chipset music in their work, as well as having lots of bright, neon techno elements in their design aesthetic. I wanted to stick to that, while making it a little more slick since they've been sort of entering mainstream music.

MSI: Logo Solutions

I tried playing with Impact and layering colors to see how they'd interact. (The "MSI" logo is intentionally vulgar, haha! MSI is a bit of a vulgar band. Don't hate!) I also had my prerequisite hand-drawn font. I downloaded a nice font from Blambot and played a lot with its serifs. We all ended up liking that logo the best.

Once the logo was straightened out, I went about designing the pages. I stuck with my techno vibe in my sketches.

Sketches

I really liked the circuit board and microchip ideas I'd come up with, but trying to integrate them practically didn't really work. I did end up using the sort of "electrical current" vibe in my final design, though.

Discography: First Draft

For my first draft, Dave didn't quite dig the way I had laid out my navigation links. My classmates also pointed out that the gradient was a little ugly looking. It's supposed to fade from green to pink, but I intended for the page to extend beyond this "preview" window, so I didn't adjust the length of the gradient.

So I fixed those things! Made the nav links smaller and separated them with the fonts neato "asterisk." The way the page is supposed to work is that when you scroll over each thumbnail, it increases in size. If you click on it, additional info and order links will appear. MSI doesn't quite have their own storefront for a lot of their music; you are taken to other sites to order.

Discogarphy: Final Draft

Then came the merchandise page! This one operated on the same basic premise, except I also added a shopping cart and size menus and the like.

Merchandise Page

I'm pretty pleased with this but I ended up getting a "B." Horrors! Dave said that the lack of a grid might be confusing... Which confused me, because I am sort of operating on a grid. *sobs!*

Next is an illustration I did for a good friend of mine. She gave me a hand with something when I was in a bind! This features her character Bianca and my versions of two characters from the old TV show Invader Zim. Bianca and the alien don't get along very well, and the poor hairy guy is caught in the middle. Love triangle!

By clicking on the thumb you can see my pencils, inks and the final version. :)

STFU Tak!

No comments:

Post a Comment