5.06.2010

Conbook

Of the projects I did this semester, this one is probably my favorite. It combines two of my most favoritest things: Illustration and Magazine layout. (Both things that are going out of vogue in today's high-tech times, eh? I've always been on the cutting edge of trends that way)

So anyway, we were tasked with creating a four-page magazine layout focusing on a subject from a list we were given. One of the subjects was "Social Networking and Privacy," with a link to this news article. I took the assignment pretty literally and assumed we were supposed to actually sort of lay out the ARTICLE.

First, of course, were sketches.

Sketch Page

My first idea was for a sad man to be tethered by the neck to a computer monitor. Then I thought about having a pair of hands coming from behind bars, typing on a keyboard... Next I thought of going for a more "Facebook-esque" layout... And then came the "mouse turning to handcuffs" idea. Everyone seemed to like the mousecuffs, so I went ahead with that one.

Funny (or perhaps sad) story: I actually went and looked at photos of mice on Google when I drew the mouse. And yet I still managed to draw it monumentally WRONG. The buttons were on the bottom with the scroll wheel floating somewhere up in space.

Terribly Drawn Mouse

The drawings I did made it through, like, two critiques and several instances of my instructor looking at the image while giving me feedback... As well as, of course, my own eyes staring at the thing... And nobody noticed my mistake until the final critique. And I'll probably never live it down, either!

But that's ok, I fixed it.

Conbook: Page 1

I think everything turned out pretty nicely. I wonder if I should have justified the text, though. Yet again I misunderstood some conversation about the whole thing and thought it should all be left-aligned.

Conbook: Pages 2 and 3

Conbook: Page 4

Now this is mounted and hanging up in the Visual Communications hallway. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment