10.08.2009

Homage to David Carson

For this project, we were given a choice between creating an homage to David Carson or Stefan Sagmeister. I chose David Carson because I find his aesthetic to be intriguing. What I find most interesting about David Carson is his apparent disregard for the traditional "rules" of graphic design and typography. I have always had a problem with operating outside of a strict set of rules. He takes a lot of risks with type legibility and color.

I also like the way he integrates photographs into his designs, making them an integrated part of his layouts rather than completely separate entities. Since I am more of an illustrator I appreciate the ability to make a photograph more of a design element than just slapping it on the page. I want to play with coloring over and placing lineart on top of photographs.

Based on the two paragraphs above, I worked on formulating my poster design. I created three thumbnails, though I honestly loved the first from the beginning and I think everyone agreed that it was the best option.


(click for full size)

The other two explored illustrating his use of puns in his work and also the fact that he helped usher in the "grunge" era with his convention-defying, dirty aesthetic.


(click for full size)

I really like how this one came together. All of the techniques I used were observed in Carson's work (photograph integration, coloring/drawing over low quality photographs, making layout guides apparent), but I tried to put my own spin on it. I also used a couple of letters from that hand-drawn font I created :) Dave suggested I offset the lineart a bit from the photo when I was drawing over it, and make it more sketchy. I think both suggestions worked very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment