2.09.2010

Web Design Tutorial Critiques

Today we were tasked with critiquing a few of the 27 Best Web Design Tutorials. I scrolled through and picked the sites that appealed the most to be aesthetically.

First on the list is the Funky Web Design Layout. Butterflies! This is a very easy to follow tutorial that provides screencaptures of each step. Being a visual learner, I appreciate this a great deal. There are some neat little tricks in here, like warping the dashes to create dividers, that I never thought of. There is also a downloadable PSD file to go along with it that includes some of the brushes used. ...if you're willing to shell out for it! It doesn't explain how to install the brushes so if you're not familiar, you'll have to find another tutorial for that!

Next I decided to learn How to create a Dark Themed Web Design from Scratch. This one has a higher text to photo ratio and my eyes started glazing over a bit as I went through. That being said, it explains some useful things the last tutorial didn't, such as where your viewer's eyes will go the moment they hit your page, and the prudence of grouping similar elements in Photoshop. In the end I'm not too sure about all those gradienty boxy things, I think they just clutter up the layout, the way they were used. This is another tutorial that provides a download if you're willing to register with them.

Last was an Urban Layout Perfect for a Web Design Company (though one thinks they might be in the wrong business if they need a tutorial to create their site...). As complicated as the design looks at first glance, you find that it is actually very simple and created with only a handfull of brushes. The screencaps do much of the talking in this one, as I don't think the writer's first language is English. That's just fine with me! I feel I could easily recreate this design just by glancing through. The download available with this one was free, with lots of links to free brushes.

No comments:

Post a Comment